Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Out with the Old…

And in with the new, or so they say.  I, for one, stopped making resolutions years ago.  What’s the point? Sometimes you can stick to them, and often you can’t.  And I don’t know about you, but when I promise to do something and fail, it affects me horribly.  So, I stopped making resolutions and just started trying to be a better person.  I hope that I’ve succeeded so far.

However, while reading one of my daily e-mails from Yoga Journal, I was inspired to make one resolution for the coming new year, one I honestly think I can achieve.  And one I want to challenge each and every one of you to do as well.

(copied and pasted from My Yoga Journal – Out with the Old e-mail, dated 12/30/09)

Out with the Old

It's the same thing every year: This year, I'm going to be healthier, lose weight, get organized, and finally touch my foot to the back of my head. Yes, this year will be different—I can feel it!

Just as you might take a moment at the beginning of a yoga class to set an intention, it's wonderful to have healthy goals for the New Year. However, it's also important to remember that yogic wisdom tells us to strive for contentment. That means we should accept ourselves as we are—even with our flaws.

This week, practice acceptance of yourself and your situation. If you set an intention for the New Year, don't forget the positive aspects of your life. Finally, give gratitude for your many blessings.

Namaste,
Erica Rodefer

While I doubt I’ll EVER be able to touch my foot to the back of my head (no matter HOW short a distance it may be), I really do think that I can learn to be content with my life as it is.  After all, I have a great family, a good job, a wonderful and loving husband, two obnoxious girls that love me, and a home full of furry love.  Not to mention a ton of good books just waiting for me and a great group of online friends.  What more could a person want or need?  I’m spiritually sound and healthy.  I really do have it all.  When you look at things in that perspective, gratitude should flow. 

So, my goals for the new year are to be content and grateful for what I have and have lost over the course of my life.  Am I where I pictured I’d be at 35 and counting?  Not exactly.  But am I in a good place?  You’d better believe it. 

In love and light, and full of hope,

Amy, the Crazy Lady

1 comments:

Dana Lea - SU Stamper! said...

Great post. I also do not do the resolution thing, if it's a change you want to make, then make it already, no need to wait for (or only do it in) January. Also, if you are going to set one, for goodness sakes, make it reachable and reasonable! :)