Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's a Beautiful Day for a Ball Game...

Let's play two!

Or so the famous Ernie Banks used to like to say.  I'll admit it, my Cubbies lost.  But does that make me despair?  Does it make me dislike them?  Not one bit.  Does it make me cry out my grandfather's favorite refrain of, "There goes your old ball game!"  Yup, sure does.

LOL

But, in all fairness, I am a born and bred Cubs fan, until the day I die.  Which is rather amusing because my father was a die-hard St. Louis Cardinals fan all his life.  Just made for an interesting ball season is all.

I cut my teeth on Harry Caray and to this day, my favorite expression is, "Holy Cow!"  Amazing how that one simple exclamation can work it's way into your vocabulary.  However, the problems start when SOMEONE ELSE says it and I have to follow up their "Holy Cow!" with "Cubs win!  Cubs win!"  LOL  Yeah, I'm a nutcase. 

I do miss the old days though.  Watching a ball game just to hear Harry sing the seventh inning stretch.  Feigning an illness on opening day and not fooling mom one bit.  No steroid talk, no tell-all books, none of the crap you have to deal with today.  Back then, it was Wade Boggs admitting to being a sex addict and George Brett having too much pine tar on his bad.  And while on the subject of 'the good ol' days' - my favorite Cubs-related headline of all time found on the USA Today: "Cubs Beat Astros by Two Touchdowns".  I watched that game, went to spend the night with my best friend, and as we were walking into Sam's Town for her bowling league and her father pointed it out.  I have never laughed so hard in my life.  The final score on that game was something like 22-7.  GO CUBS!

And now, before I sign off, a pictorial of my favorite Cubs... Mostly from the 80's/early 90's so bear with me.

#23 Ryne Sandberg, aka Ryno (and often a Running Ryno)

#17 Mark Grace, aka Prince Markie

#31 Greg Maddux, once nicknamed Pinstripe (and then TRAITOR, but that's just me begin bitter)

#7 Jody Davis, Catcher Without a Fear (thanks Harry)

And it's OH SO TRUE, isn't it?

Anyway, I could go on and on, but I won't.  Damon Berryhill, Shawon Dunston, Ron Cey, Andre Dawson... the list just goes on forever.  I LOVE my Cubs, win or lose.  And no matter what...

Are ya bored yet?

~The Crazy Cubbie Lady

0 comments: