Monday, October 13, 2008

Arizona Trip Day 2

Okay, so I want to get this all down before I forget, but at least you don't have to read it all at once. LOL

PA100017

Friday morning we got up nice and early, intent to be on the road as soon as possible.  To our credit, we were only about 30 minutes behind schedule.  We stopped for breakfast at Cracker Barrel in Casa Grande, AZ.  The picture above is of a bird's nest in a saguaro cactus.  That must be one careful bird!

PA100030

Breakfast was yummy and we were soon back on the road.  As you all know, I love animals - cows especially - so I had my eyes peeled for anything mooing.  What I found was the picture above.  Shana actually turned the car around so we could go back and take a picture of this bizarre sign.  I mean, really.  114 miles?  Not 110 or even 115? 

PA100040

Came across lots of animals before we finally hit Tombstone.  This little guy looked right up at me when I called to him.  He shared a yard with two horses and a goat. 

PA100028

Obviously, people must get lost a lot.  But no fear, Wyatt Earp will hold your hand and make sure you make it safely!  We arrived at our hotel at around 11:30 or so Friday morning. 

PA100079

One of the first things we did was get our tickets for the reenactment of the infamous shootout.  With that, we got to go to the Historama and watch a narrated version of the History of Tombstone.  The most fascinating thing I discovered was how Tombstone got it's name.  From the Tombstone City Website: When Ed Schieffelin (SHEF·e·lin) came to Camp Huachuca (hwah·CHEW·kuh) with a party of soldiers and left the fort to prospect, his comrades told him that he'd find his tombstone rather than silver. Thus, in 1877 Schieffelin named his first claim the Tombstone, and rumors of rich strikes made a boomtown of the settlement that adopted this name.  Cool, huh?

PA100066

We walked through Tombstone and did some shopping and some sight seeing.  The girls wanted to desperately ride in one of the stagecoaches we kept seeing everywhere, so we finally gave in and did so.  I'm so glad we did.  They take you around the town, telling you the history of the buildings and pointing out things of interest, like Wyatt Earp's former home and the gallows still visible in the town.

I'll continue again later on.  This is getting a bit long.  LOL

0 comments: