Sunday, October 19, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAH! (aka Blake & Miranda)

Okay, let me say two things before I go any farther:

#1: I'm so ticked I didn't take my camera!  Said on the website no recording equipment (which 99.9% of the time includes digital cameras and I've had them check cameras before) but no one was even LOOKING!  GRRRRR!

#2: When Blake came out and said, "I'm not gonna lie, I've been drinking." I think he was understating  he laughed at some point during darn near every song he sang.  LOL  But that's why I lurve him so much.

Due to a series of unfortunate events (LOL), I wound up going to the concert with a co-worker's wife.  I like D, she's a great lady, so I was looking forward to it.  The only thing I wasn't looking for was the 45-minute drive to get to the venue.  We arrived with about an hour before the show started. We got a drink, bought a shirt and got our seats.

MirandaLambert1

So, Miss Miranda came out first.  Started her set off with "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" and rocked out from there.  She played for about 30 minutes before asking us if we wanted to see her 'cute boyfriend Blake Shelton'.  Ummmm... DUH!  Why'd ya think I was here, blondie?  LOL

I have to say this much however, I was really impressed with her.  This was my first time seeing Miranda and I was worried  darn near every time I've seen her perform on TV - for whatever reason - she's sounded like crap. Don't know if it was nerves or what.  But, last night, she sounded amazing!  She's as bad as Eddie Montgomery however and doesn't stand still for two seconds. LOL

home_02-x600 Next, it was time for my man.  Yeaaah...  This was my fourth time seeing Blake, so I sorta knew what to expect from his show.  However, you never really know what to expect out of HIM.  I couldn't even tell you what he started his set off with... how bad is that?  However, he put on his typically amazing show, laced with lots of humor and great music.  He really knows how to work a crowd.  To start his set off, he appears at the top of the stage, at the head of a set of stairs.  "I'm not gonna lie to you, I'll tell you the truth.  I've been drinking tonight.  And I'm gonna walk my big a$$ down these stairs and by the time I get to the bottom, ya'll better be raisin' hell."  LOL  Which reminds me, he started off with "The More I Drink".  See?  I'm not that bad!

80678666_10-x600At the end of his set, he 'asked' us if he could bring Miranda back out and do a small acoustic set.  They'd wanted to make this a part of the show because, as Blake said, "This is what we do at home, sitting around the campfire.  That and making out, but we're not gonna do that here."  Good thing, too.  I promised Zan I wouldn't get arrested.  LOL  So, she starts off with her newest single, "More Like Her".  Of all the songs on her "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" album, I think I probably like this one the least, but she really did it justice last night acoustically.  Sounded better than the CD!  Blake then went into one of MY favorite songs, noting it as Miranda's favorite as well - "Don't Make Me".  For the finale, they performed a Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn duet, "Feelins". 

SHNS_MusicBeat02_5a_eMiranda returned after that for her second and final set.  She finished up with "Kerosene" one of my favorites of hers.  She did a great job of including all her hits - "Kerosene", "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend", "Gunpowder and Lead", "Me and Charlie Talkin'", "Famous in a Small Town" as well as a few off her latest album ("Desperation") and her first as well ("Bring Me Down").  Mixed all that up with a few older cover songs ("Cripple Creek" and "Stay With Me") and a lot of high energy.  You can tell she has a great relationship with her band and it really shows in their stage show.

BLAKE SHELTON 2007_0610-0051Blake returned to the stage for his final set next.  He as well did a great job of stuffing all his hits into such a short show.  "Austin", "The Baby", "Some Beach", and my *cough* personal favorite, "Playboys of the Southwestern World" were among the few of his best.  He also included his newest single. "She Wouldn't Be Gone" as well.  Love that song!  (Note to Shana: He did Playboys and SWBG back-to-back, just for you)  Blake wound up his final set, but since he hadn't performed "Home", I knew he'd be back out.  And sure enough, there he comes... with Miranda in tow.  They did a beautiful version of the song, but I still had to laugh.  He was perched on a stool; she stood beside him.  He was still taller.  LMAO!

Blake_Camo_GuitarBlake switches out guitars and then starts harassing his roadie.  "Hey you, what did you just say to me?  Yeah, you!  What's your name?" And so it goes... he gets the roadie up there to talk and then Blake calls him on the carpet - tells the audience that the roadie handed him his guitar and said, "Anyone can do this."  So, Blake gives him a guitar and lets him go.  Blake has his guitar player start 'the easiest song he knows' and the guy - Mark - starts with "The Joker" and moves into "Angel of the Morning".  The majority of the time, Blake's sitting on the drum riser, looking aggravated and despondent.  Finally, he's had enough - he takes his guitar away and stomps off stage.  I'm dying laughing at this point - not ever seen anything like this at a Blake concert, but it so didn't surprise me.  He eventually comes back out onto stage and then I really WAS shocked - his guitarist goes into the opening notes of The J. Geils Band's "Centerfold"!  Oh.  Mah.  Gawd!  LOL  Blake is proud of saying he's stuck in the 80's but I think that song is older than Miranda! 

lambertAs Blake's finishing up his rockin' countrified version of "Centerfold", Miranda struts back out onto stage and points him to the stairs, making him sit and watch her as she launches into a very well-done version of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock 'N' Roll".  Now, I have tears in my eyes because Blake is playing the petulant little boy, rolling his eyes, making faces, what have you, while Miranda performs.  Once she finishes, he stands up and says, "Can we do something together that doesn't make me look like a complete moron?"  She looks (way) up at him as says, "What do you mean by 'something'?"  He looks desperately over his shoulder at his band and whimpers, "Just play something.  Please?  Just play something!"  LOL  Awww, poor Blake!  The start into a really rocking number that I didn't recognize, but was a great way to end the show.

Again, I'm really, really impressed with Miranda's performance.  Her voice was strong and clear all night.  Blake not only held to the standard I have for him, but surpassed it with his humor and goofiness.  But then, I'm just a *tad* bit partial on this subject.  LOL  I have to say though that, even if you only like one or the other, if you have a chance to see the two of them together, it's really worth it! 

D and I headed back into town after the show and met up with her husband at IHOP for breakfast.  Mmm... pumpkin pancakes. LOL  Got home and crashed.  It was five hours past my bedtime by that point!  Yeah, I know, I'm sad aren't I?

This can't be good...

~Your Crazy Blake-Addicted Lady after her yearly dose of Pure BS            

2 comments:

Redheaded Mama said...

I'm so glad you had fun!!

beth kery said...

Sounds like it was a phenomenal time, Amy!