Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday is Poetry Day!

Or, at least today it is.  I'm awaiting a vet visit for my hamster and I'm a bit freaked today.  So, I thought I'd share a couple of my all-time favorite poems with you.  And be thankful... I'm staying out of the Edgar Allen Poe vault. LOL

This first one I read in high school English class and has been forever inscribed on my brain...

Requiem

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie;
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you 'grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

This next poem totally tickled me to no ends because it essentially describes a woman being slowly undressed and um, well, I had an LDS English teacher!!  LMAO

Delight in Disorder

by Robert Herrick

A sweet disorder in the dress
Kindles in clothes a wantonness:
A lawn about the shoulders thrown
Into a fine distraction:
An erring lace, which here and there
Enthralls the crimson stomacher:
A cuff neglectful, and thereby
Ribbands to flow confusedly:
A winning wave (deserving note)
In the tempestuous petticoat:
A careless shoe-string, in whose tie
I see a wild civility:
Do more bewitch me, than when art
Is too precise in every part.

I hope you enjoyed.  :)

~A Thougthful Crazy Lady

0 comments: