Monday, August 25, 2008

Key West Ribs & Easy Gravy

Found some ribs on sale for a really good price so I decided to make some for dinner over the weekend.  Now, before you yell and scream, I know that cooking ribs in a crockpot is like a travesty to the REAL Q'ers, but yanno what?  I have been so sick lately that my family is lucky to get fed at all. LOL

Anyway, I had intended on making potato salad to go along with them because that only made sense to me.  However, Zan is a dork and begged for mashed potatoes.  <insert eye roll here please>  So, I tried to reason with him and tell him that I wouldn't have any gravy.  He didn't take that as an excuse.  I went on a search for a gravy recipe that didn't use pan drippings.  And you know what?  I'm such an idiot - I never once thought to use a can of chicken broth in its place.  DOH!  But then, I've never had a reason to make gravy without pan drippings before. LOL  Anyway, both recipes are here.

Key West Ribs

4 servings

2 1/2 lbs country-style pork loin ribs

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/4 cup barbecue sauce

1 teaspoon grated orange peel

1 teaspoon grated lime peel

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons lime juice

1. Place ribs in 3 1/2-4 quart slow cooker.  In small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; mix well.  Pour over ribs.

2. Cover, cook on low setting for 7 to 9 hours.  Spoon sauce over ribs.

Plain Ol' Gravy Any Night of the Week

(found on a Yahoo message board, thank you!)

2 tablespoons fat (either both butter, both olive oil or one of each)

4 tablespoons flour

1 can chicken broth

salt, pepper, assorted seasonings, to taste

1. Melt fat in a pan over medium-high heat until it sizzles.  Add flour and stir until smooth.  Should turn frothy and brown.  Whisk in chicken broth and stir until smooth.

2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened.  Season to taste.

Oh, and it's BLAKE SHELTON week on my country music group... Likey my new tag?  LOL  (Yeah, I made it myself...)

And you wonder why they call me The Crazy Lady...

Amy_Blake_Week_13_Mika3

0 comments: