Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Record Industry Has Lost Its Mind

Okay, first go read this blog: http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/06/recording-indus.html

Now, are you as outraged as I am? I mean REALLY people! I can understand why the record companies are angry and looking for new ways to broaden their horizons, so to speak, but this is a bit much. Piracy is out of control these days but this has nothing to do with piracy. Back in the day (like I'm sooooo old), the ONLY way to find out about new music was via the radio. And then you got MTV as well, but I digress. And how do you think your songs get to #1 in the first place? It's the deejays and the listeners pushing their favorites. Trust me, there are artists I LOVE dearly and RARELY hear on the local FM station while others that I CAN'T STAND get more airtime than a 747. Do you honestly think they'll continue to play your song as often as they can if you're going to charge them for it? Probably not. And a note to the record industry? I once listened to a jock play Rammstein's Du Hast THREE times in a ROW just because he couldn't get enough of it. Doubt THAT will happen again. And it's such a shame too.

And then, comparing AM/FM stations to cable and satellite? It's ridiculous. Why? Because, last I checked I PAY for my CABLE and my XM RADIO (which I could not live without btw… THEY play the music I like… but again, I digress… we'll leave my rant against my local country stations for a much later date). So, if they're getting PAID to play music then okay, let them pay royalties. But, if you're playing the music for free? Not a chance. And I'm not buying that radio is making SO MUCH money off of playing the music for free because they are in turn GENERATING income for the record labels.

Anyway, I can see both sides of the argument, however I think the record industry is about to shoot itself in the foot. CD's are already way too expensive, without any relief in sight. If it weren't for Best Buy and release week sales, I don't think I'd ever buy a CD. Digital downloads are nice, but I like having IT ALL. I like supporting my artists, but enough is enough, don't you think?

Comments, arguments, and rotten tomatoes welcome (because the gods only know, I'm not always right)…

~TCL

3 comments:

beth kery said...

Wow, I'm shocked, Amy, as this was the first I've heard of it. Seems counterintuitive to getting your music out there. *Still shaking head* It's like the record industry is saying it's a 'favor' now, that the radio stations can play their music. It's GOT to cut them out of some markets, it not a ton, right?
Thanks for posting a puzzling (and noteworthy) topic.

Crazy Lady said...

Thanks Beth. I couldn't agree with you more on this. I'm so very confused.

Redheaded Mama said...

They are getting as stupid as the oil companies. Asinine to charge royalties for radio play, especially AM/FM stations.